Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Flannel Board Redux

While on vacation, I took time to update an illustrative flannel board that was past its prime -- not because it had worn out, but because the content was outdated.  It was a set of different hats made out of laminated cardstock and backed with sand paper.  I had used the pieces when doing stories about clothes, hats, and community helpers.  One of the "hats" was an old style nurse's cap, which is no longer worn.  I had made the flannel board pieces early in my career.  The last time I pulled the pieces out, I realized that current audiences would have no clue as to who would wear such a "hat."  I found a new set of larger patterns, and I made new, colorful, and different hats out of felt.  The old set has been retired, and my newer, brighter hats can be used when doing preschool programs about clothes, hats, community helpers, AND colors.  Just as personal possessions get old, worn, and in need of replacing, so do materials used in programs.

No comments: