Saturday, February 20, 2010

On the prowl

One thing I do on an ongoing basis is seek out resources to glean ideas from, in order to enrich my programs.  When I'm on the reference desk and it's a bit slow (like the hour before closing on a Wednesday night), I check the library's catalog for any newly published titles that might have some good ideas to try out.  The correct subject headings, I've learned, are "Children's libraries -- Activity programs,"  or "Early childhood education -- Activity programs,"  or "Young adults' libraries -- Activity programs." The key words (literally) are "Activity programs."  I reserve the books and wait in anticipation for them to arrive so that I can skim through them and find activities (action rhymes, flannel boards, games, songs, etc.) that I think will work well in a program.  If I glean  just one new, solid idea, I'm stoked, and can't wait to put it into action.  Sometimes I find activities that can be modified to match a different theme or age group than suggested.  It's much like I do when I skim cookbooks.  I'm not actually looking for a perfect recipe to follow to the letter, I'm looking for ingredient combinations or new techniques to adapt in my own kitchen.  Sometimes I photocopy good ideas and create a folder for them until I can figure out a program to use them in.  Sometimes, as in the case of Twinkie sushi, I create a program around a really fun and unique idea.  I'm always on the prowl for program ideas.  The quest keeps me engaged in my work and with my audiences. 

No comments: