Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lights out!

WHOOPS! The lights went out just before a Toddler program recently, due to a blown transformer. I opened the blinds in the program room and waited a couple of minutes to see if power would be restored. While I was standing and waiting, one of my toddlers walked over to my chair, patted it determinedly, and tried to say, "Sit! Sit!", but it came out like, "Shi, shi." Then she walked over to the door of the program room and tried to close the door, saying, "Clo, clo." Her mother explained to me that her little girl, Alina, wanted me to close the door (to a darkened room), sit in my chair, and begin the program. Little Alina was adamant about having her library time. I was touched by her enthusiasm, and urged on by the caregivers. So we all walked out to the main floor where there were partial lights still on, and we had our books, rhymes, and songs where everyone could hear. The little ones were really focused and happy, even with the disruption. And even without the musical instruments which are a usual part of their activities. It was a delightful, serendipitous experience!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Children are amazingly focused at times.
I've been perusing your blog. You're blessed. Your job includes 2 of my greatest loves; books & children. I'm planning on scheduling a month of interviews on my blog of teachers & librarians. If you'd be interested, email me at author@jadaykennedy.com
Blessings,
J. Aday Kennedy
The Differently-Abled Writer