Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Plug Covers

Yesterday after storytime a parent discovered an uncovered floor plug and told me that it was unsafe. Yes, we try to keep all of the little outlet plug openings covered so that all the little darlings won't get electrocuted from sticking their little fingers in the little holes. The program room had been used the weekend before, and the group who used the room lost the round cover that normally goes over the round outlet plate. Since my daughter is now an adult, it has been awhile since I've had to worry about those things, and I didn't notice the missing cover. Until it was pointed out to me. I then checked all of the outlets in the entire juvenile area (inside and outside the program room) of the library, and I discovered many uncovered outlets. Not good. This morning before my work day started, I made a quick trip to Wal-Mart and bought lots of plug outlet covers. I wasn't about to wait until a supplies request for the covers was received, filled, and sent to my branch. Then I covered every outlet I could find anywhere near the children's area of the library. I realize, too, that an email to the janitorial supervisor may be necessary, as I suspect the cleaning crew removes the covers in order to plug in their vacuum cleaner, and then fails to replace them afterwards. Such a simple thing can turn into a major issue in a public library. A youth librarian's goal is to offer quality literature programs to children. But like physicians, we should first do no harm. A periodic outlet check is a good thing. I am glad that the parent pointed out the potential hazard to me. It zapped me into action, before a kid got zapped!

No comments: