Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Parents in Programs

Used to be I'd discourage parents of preschoolers and school-aged children from sitting in during my library programs. I wanted to reduce the possiblity for distractions (potty-time attention-getting behavior or adult networking noise, for ex.). But over the years I have softened on this. Partly, I'm sure, because I am more confident in my programming abilities. But also because I realize that the programs I present are not "my" programs. They are for the children. And children need adults who encourage reading and who bond with them through literacy events. Also, unfortunately, parents now need to insure that the adult leading their child's activities is not a pedophile. I've also learned that additional adults in the room can facilitate smoother programs. Engendering their help in organizing activities (forming a circle, lining up, etc.) or handing out materials (craft supplies, musical instruments, etc.) can enhance the flow of activities. So bring 'em on! But I am clear in my expectations that adults model listening behaviors for the children they bring to library programs. The universal sign of quiet -- gently bringing an index finger up to pursed lips -- still works wonders on adults as well as kids :-).

No comments: